Thursday, August 29, 2013

Day 151: Stratton ME

Day: 151 Miles: 11.2 Trip: 1997.7 Started: 1986.5  Destination: Stratton, ME

Another two 4000+ foot peaks today.   This has been the theme for the past several days.  Up and down large climbs all day long.  Fortunately we are almost out of the higher peaks until Katahdin. The rain from yesterday has persisted all morning and as we climbed North and South Crocker Mt. we did not even pause for pictures.

Finishing the trail is on my mind quite a bit now.  I am truly ready to be finished hiking.  Everybody I talk to has about this has the same feeling.  The general thought is that it is just not that fun anymore and the final climb is all that pulling us forward one step at a time.  Even coming in to a town does not offer the respite it has in the past.  I just want to eat, sleep, resupply and move on.  I figure I have about two weeks left at this point and I want the days to go by faster.  It is almost a cruel joke that the best views and hiking are at this point.  As a through hiker I spent all summer thinking about how nice this section would be and now I am too tired to appreciate it.  I still take the time each day to reflect and acknowledge what a privilege it is to be out here but at the same time I long to simply be done. 

No comments: