Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 135: Franconia Ridge

Day: 135 Miles: 10.3 Trip:  1823.1 Started: Franconia Notch Destination: Garfield Ridge Sh.

Today was simply breathtaking.  These are the views we have been waiting for in the Whites.  The climb was getting to be pretty typical, rocky steep and high.  Today's climb to the ridge was about 4500 feet.  Words don't do it justice, so I think I will just post a lot of pictures.  I think I took more pictures on the ridge today than I have in all of Massachusetts and Vermont.  The climb down to the shelter was very deceptive.  The scale of the views here make everything seem just a little closer than it is.  It's only when I see a hiker as a spec on a distant part of trail that I realize what I am looking at is several miles away.  We got into the shelter at about 7pm after a great day on the ridge.  I am really glad the weather was so good for this section.  A true highlight.





















No comments: