Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 143: Grafton Notch

Day: 143 Miles: 9.7 Trip: 1918.7 Started: Full Goose Sh.  Destination: Grafton Notch, ME

The trail is getting a little easier, to a point.  Today there were quiet a few stretches were I could actually walk and not think about every single step.  Everything was going great until we got to Mahoosuc Notch.  Mahoosuc Notch is described as either the hardest or most fun mile on the trail.  I have to say that it was both hard and fun. 
The Notch is a steep ravine filled with car and large truck sized boulders.  There is no obvious trail though the section and I found myself jumping and crawling over many boulders.  The fact that we could see vultures circling the section as we entered was not a good omen.  Moose have been known to get stuck in the notch and I did not want to encounter a cornered moose, fortunately we did not see one. 
Climbing around in the notch was fun, but immediately after leaving I was faced with the Mahoosuc Arm, an exposed 1500 climb. 
We hit the arm in mid afternoon and the sun and blue skies made for an awesome climb.  I really enjoyed this stretch despite the tough conditions.  I would hate to think what this would be like if it was raining.  Speaking or weather, we have had an amazing stretch of good weather.  The famous Maine mud has been in check for the most part, a true blessing. 



Spec Pond



No comments: