Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day 142: Maine !!!

Day: 142 Miles: 9.6 Trip: 1909.0  Started: Gentian Pond Sh.  Destination: Full Goose Shelter, ME

Today I see my final border crossing.  I'm now in Maine!  It seems so surreal to be here.  Back in Georgia the thought of making it this far was just a distant possibility.  I never doubted that I would make it this far, just that it was almost too far away to comprehend at the time, but I am finally here!  I can now say that I have walked from Georgia to Maine!

The talk of the southern Maine mountains is all true.  This stretch is tiring.  There are many miles of trail that just go up and down about 20' at a time.  While not long climbs, the constant changes really slow me down.  Even though the trail was tough, I could not be more happy to be in my final state.  I don't think anything could get me down today.

Up and down, all day long.
It's easy to get Katahdin fever even though I am still 270 miles from finishing.  I am already thinking ahead to home and all the projects Mary has in store for me, and am looking forward to all of it.

Tonight we are heading in to East Andover and The Cabin.  The Cabin is cross between a trail angels home and a hostel.  They have such a good reputation that I even heard about this place all the way back in Georgia.  They offer slack packing for a very reasonable price and we both want to do some of this rough terrain without a full pack if possible.  We called Don from The Elbow trail and they graciously offered to pick us up at Grafton Notch.  They even said they would hold dinner for us, an unexpected bonus.

View from Goose Eye Mt.

No comments: