Monday, August 19, 2013

Day 141

Day: 141 Miles: 11.8 Trip:  Started: Gorham, NH Destination:  Gentian Pond Shelter

The Gentian Pond shelter offers a great view.
This will be my final day in NH.  The mountains today have been pretty tough.  I have been told for a while now that the mountains in southern Maine are tougher than the Whites and if today is any indication of what is to come then the next few days will be tough.  The trail has been a little easier for the most part, but the technical drop offs are more common and difficult than they were in the Whites.  The Whites had many long steep ups and down, where here the trail is more gradual but the steep sections require much more finesse to get down.  I need to pick up my miles, but was only able to get 11 in today.  Hiking with Chin Music was fun and I look forward to the Mahoosuc range and the stretch into Stratton with him.  I fear he may be on a slower pace than I and I might have to split off from him to finish by early September. 

No comments: