Saturday, August 10, 2013

Day 133

Day: 133 Miles: 7.5 Trip: 1804.0 Started: Kinsman Notch  Destination:  Eliza Brook Sh.

View from Mt. Wolf towards the presidential range
Today started out under pretty good conditions. The rain stupid early last night and I was hopeful that the trail had dried up a fair amount. Turns out my fears were justified.  The stretch from Kinsman to can the camp site was some of the worst trail i have been on so far. car sized boulders and mud bogs that had no way around.  On the way down from one of those boulders I slipped and fell in a mud pit up to my knees, breaking my pole in the process.  The mud was bad but breaking my pole was worse.  Not a good start to the day.  Luckily the break in the pole was in a place where I could at least extend the lower section and make it close to the right length.  Shortly after my fall we encountered several hikers with increasingly clean shoes.  Slowly the trail got a little better and the last few miles to the shelter were actually pretty good.  Jay and I both decided that we would not make it to our original destination of Kinsman Pond Shelter and decided to cut it short at Eliza Brook.  Jay set up his tent and I decided to do the shelter.  After cleaning up in the brook, things were looking better and we had dinner with some other section and through hikers.  

No comments: