Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Day 54: 25% done!

Day: 54 Miles: 13.9 Trip: 556.1 Started: Atkins VA Destination: Knot Maul Branch Shelter

Stayed the night in Atkins and got a late start.  After a nice breakfast at The Barn I headed out.  Because of the late start I was only able to get in 14 miles, but enjoyed the easy trail and nice skies.  The trail maintenance crew in this section does an awesome job.  I would have thought the section at mile 548.5 from the elevation profile was a roadbed.  It turns out it was a normal switchback but it was one of the best graded switch backs I have had so far.  It strange how the small thinks like this become highlights! 

Near Little Bushy Mountain I came across some creative artwork (right).  Its a small reminder of the varied creativity and skill you find in the average AT hiker.

 Today is a milestone! 25% done!  The miles are coming easier and it will be soon enough until I am 1/3 done.  I think I might be able to avoid the dreaded Virginia blues.  Time will tell.

No comments: