Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 47: Virginia!

Day: 47 Miles: 11.3 Trip: 468 Started: Abingdon Gap Destination: Damascus, VA


Well, this is a milestone! I'm finally in Virginia.  Virginia is a sort of Psychological hurtle for me.  Its said that about 50% of thru-hikers drop out before reaching Damascus.  If that is true then I can consider myself one of the lucky ones.  I feel that I have now learned most of what I need to know to complete my hike.  I have to come to realize that I will meet an amazing array of people on my way to Maine and I do not need to nor should I try to keep up with any one group of people.  Everybody goes at their own pace and the ebb and flow of people that come and go is a big part of the trail.  I have paired down my gear a little and have become more efficient at the daily chores of hiking the AT.  I no longer worry about re-supply or what food I should or should not take.
Me, Big Yankee, Step, Owl, Zag & Shutterbug
I eat what my body tells me it wants and the lure of towns has become a little less.  The only thing I have yet to master is getting in and out of a town with enough time to still do some decent miles.  Its still pretty tempting to linger a little longer in a town before heading back out.  I still think of home everyday and continually look forward to getting back, but the reality that this will still be my daily life for the next 4.5 months or so is less of barrier everyday.  Damascus is a wonderful trail town with three outfitters and a nice collection of hostels and B&B's.  I am going to take a zero day here and enjoy the transition to a new state.  Virginia is a big state with over 600 miles of the AT alone.  My next hurdle will be Harpers Ferry, WV. 
Taking a break at the VA border
VA is a big drop out point because people are said to get a little burnt out my the monotony of the AT in VA.  With Spring in full effect and some of the less scenic sections of the trail, hikers face less to look forward to on a daily basis.  Fortunately for me I will be taking a few days off in May and hope this breaks up the Virginia Blues as there called a little bit for me. 

No comments: