Monday, April 29, 2013

Day 53: First Slackpack of the trip

Day: 53 Miles: 10.8 Trip: 542.2 Started: Mt. Rogers Visitor Center Destination: Atkins VA

 I went into Marion yesterday to resupply and wait out the rain. I finally had cell service again for the first time in over a week so I decided to text a few people I had been hiking with.  It turns out that both Lentil and Jordana (now known as Phifer) were both at the same motel as me. They have been a few days ahead of me ever since I got sick in Erwin. Jordana had been off trail for three days to go to a wedding.  The best part of it was that she had a rental car!  She picked up Lentil in Atkins. Having a car available on trail is such a luxury. All those places outside of your little 2 to 3 mile radius are now easily accessible.  We came up with the plan to have the rental agency drop Lentil off in Atkins before dropping us off back at the Mt. Rogers visitor center.  In Atkins we stashed the bulk of our gear. I set out with only my pack water bladder and lunch. It was about 3 lbs. This was not the best section to slack pack, but when opportunity knocks you take it. It was somewhat decadent to slack pack only 11 miles but it was nice while it lasted.

The highlight of the day was where the trail passed by Settlers Museum.  I did not walk down to the main part of the park but the trail did run right by the Lindamood School.  The school is an old one room schoolhouse from the turn of the last century.  They leave it open and invite hikers to take a look around.







No comments: