Saturday, April 27, 2013

Day 51

Day: 51 Miles: 25.1 Trip: 520 Started: Thomas Knob Destination: Trimpi Shelter

Started the day under rainy skies.  The landscape up in the highlands reminds me of a western movie, very craggy and open. The forecast called for rain sometime during the day and I wanted to push as far as possible before it set in. 

Down by VA603 I got some awesome trail magic.  Some former hikers from 2008 have been coming up to this spot at this time of year for the past three years.  They had a great fire, Tacos, Meatball subs, chips, candy and more!  Truly a great setup.  I was tempted to stay a lot longer but rain was coming so I pushed on.  Energized by all the good food I made it 10 more miles down to Trimpi Shelter just as it started to rain.  I was pleased to find spots open in the shelter as I really did not want to set up my tent in the rain.  It was a long day and I fell asleep easily.






No comments: