Friday, April 5, 2013

Day 29: Happy Birthday Mary!

Day: 29 Miles: 14.3 Trip: 254.1 Started: Standing Bear Hostel Destination: Max Patch

What a day of contrasts today was.  The morning started out cold and rainy.  The previous night there had where freezing temperatures and the forest was coated in a think blanket of ice.  I encountered many downed trees from the ice storm.  As the morning went on, the ice was coming down in pretty large chunks making just walking down the trail a mind game as I hoped the chunks would miss my head.  I had some close calls with some, but managed to get through most of it without getting hit too bad.  By mid afternoon the sun had started to come back out and the day was looking up.   One of the views that I was looking forward to most was the one from Max Patch bald.  I was lucky to get up to Max Patch under beautiful clear skies as had a great view of the surrounding mountains.  I was really happy to get these views.   It was late enough in the day that I decided to stay with my friends up on Max Patch and was rewarded with a beautiful sunset.  One of the better days so far.  Today was Mary's birthday and I thought about how nice it would be if she was here to see the sunset.  Perhaps we will come back someday for a section hike.  Happy Birthday Mary!








No comments: