Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day 42: Goodbye NC!

Day: 42 Miles: 15.8 Trip: 391.6 Started: Roan High Knob Shelter Destination: US 19E / Mt. Harbour

What a day of contrasting weather.  I started out from the shelter under very heavy dripping fog that lasted much of the day.  The previous day I had wanted to get down to Overmountain Shelter, but did not make it due to my knee.  Overmountain is a converted barn that was built in the early 1900's. It is a favorite spot for hikers and I would have like to stay there.  Earlier in the day I cam across a trail maintenance volunteer doing a survey hike who said the recently spruced up the shelter and it could now hold up to 50 hikers.
 Unfortunately it is half a mile off the trail and I did not want to add an extra mile to my day just to take a look at it.  I did however get this picture on my way up the mountain.  The weather started to break as I went up Hump Mt. and I was able to finally get some great views again.  Even though the cloud cover had gone, it was extremely windy!  If I had to guess gusts were well over 50 mph.
 Locals I talked to later that day said that they have clocked winds over 100 mph up on the mountain.   I was blown off the trail several times and actively had to fight the wind to stay on track.  Overall though I was glad the weather was improving and the winds made things a little fun.  On the way down the Mt. I finally came to the NC/TN border.  Another state down!  For a while the trail mirrors the NC/TN border and I have been back and forth a lot over the past week or so.  Not anymore, goodbye NC!
 All and all a good day.



No comments: