Sunday, June 2, 2013

Day 80: Harpers Ferry

Day: 80 Miles: Trip: 1018.4 Started: Harpers Ferry Destination: Harpers Ferry (0 day)



Yesterday I arrived at Harpers Ferry WV!  Harpers Ferry has long been perceived as the psychological midpoint of the trail.  Three months ago I imagined what it would finally feel like to be here, and I am happy to say that arrived with confidence having completed half of the trail now.  I checked into the Tea Horse hostel and set out to explore the historic areas of the town.

Harpers Ferry is home to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) the governing body managing the preservation of the AT.  At the ATC hikers register and official hikers of the trail.  They maintain a log of entries complete with picture and contact information for each hiker.  I walked up to the ATC today and got my official photo taken for the ATC log book.  I registered as number 299.  Not that far off from my number of 221 and Amicalola Falls in GA.  The ATC has a number of small exhibits about the trail and even have a former sign from the top of Mt. Katahdin at the northern end of the trail. Seeing the actual sign that will greet me at the end of the trail has given me a new sense of confidence and desire to finish.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Harpers Ferry looks like a very interesting place. What else did you see their wow you look so healthy.