Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 86: Old half way point

Day: 86 Miles: 20 Trip: 1016.9 Started: Pine Grove State Park Destination: Boiling Springs

I got a good early start out of the hostel and set out for a long day.  The rain had finally stopped and the temperature was cool and still a little overcast, a pretty good day for hiking.  The terrain for the first half of the day was pretty smooth on lightly graded trail.  About midday however we started to hit the first dreaded rocks PA is so known for. 
Lost in the maze
After entering a section called the 'Rock Maze' we started to encounter some of the larger rock scrambles we were fearing.  The section was not that long however it was actually a nice break for a fun short stretch.  I know there is more of this coming and it will probably not be so fun when it does.  I have been hiking with B-Rocket, Chin Music and Medic, a section hiker that is out for about 8 weeks. A few miles after the Rock Maze we came to the monument for the old half way point of the trail.  The actual half way point we had already passed and I joked that the ATC should move this rock each year to the real half way point.

At the old half way point
Coming into Boiling Springs we were greeted by Ice Man.  Ice man has been following Chin Music's blog and lives in the area.  Knowing Chin was coming into town today he decided to come out and offer up cold drinks to us all.  It was a nice surprise.  He even offered to drive us up the road to the Allenberry Inn where were were all going to split a room for the night. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This won't let me choose anonymous. I will try again. Eat more food more calories I am going to try to publish this but it won't let me be anonymous good luck to me