Friday, June 7, 2013

Day 85: Half Gallon Challenge

Day: 85 Miles: 9.5 Trip: 1097.3 Started: Birch Run Shelter Destination: Pine Grove State Park (Iron Masters)

Last night was a 'real soaker' as the local weather station reported it.  This morning was not that much different.  After starting out in the heavy rain it was apparent that I would indeed be totally soaked.  I decided to hike only 10 miles into the Iron Masters Hostel that is part of the state park system at Pine Grove.  The price was right and it was dry! 
Pine grove is also the home of the 1/2 gallon challenge.  The 1/2 gallon challenge has become a real trail tradition and while I would have liked to do it under warmer conditions I was definitely up for the task. There are no real rules, just that you must eat a 1/2 gallon if ice cream.  B-Rocket, Chin Music and Rain in May were all there also and we did the challenge together.  I had not had lunch yet and the ice cream went down pretty easy.  Challenge completed!

I got to the park pretty early and it was nice to just relax on the dry porch for a while.  So much of the day is hike hike hike the actual time I have to simply relax is not that great.  Good day despite the rain.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you win the challenge

Scott Naef said...

Yup, even got my little wooden spoon to prove it! It's more of a gimmick to get you to buy ice cream! They give you the spoon when you buy it. At one time it might have been more serious, now its just a nice tradition.