Friday, May 31, 2013

Day 78: 1000 Miles! - Bye to VA

Day: 78 Miles:  Trip: 19.3 Started: Sam Moore Shelter Destination: 1014.9

Finished the 'Roller Coaster' section today early in the morning.  It turns out it was not that bad at all. The rocks on the descents were the only real thing that made the section even a little harder than the previous trail. On the way out of the section I made a quick stop at the Bears Den hostel.  I did not stay there but it was right on the trail so I stopped in to enjoy a few sodas before pushing on.

Just before the West Virginia border I crossed a nondescript stream that marks the 1000 mile point.  It's hard to believe that I have already done 1000 miles!  The next week or two will be nice as I will have three midway points to celebrate.  In my mind 1000 miles was always rough the half way point way back when 100 miles was a huge milestone. I would often think back at the start how nice it will be to be half way done at 1000 miles.  I can celebrate again at the real half way point of 1093 miles.  This number changes every year however as the trail is re-routed for various reasons.  Because of this the psychological half way point is Harpers Ferry WV.  I will get there tomorrow.

The trail flattened out about half way through the day and I made it into a campsite a little outside of Harpers Ferry by early evening.  A good day of hiking,  I even got to stop at a road crossing for a small walk down to a pizza place for dinner.  In a normal day at home I don't think I would walk 2 miles out of my way for a simple slice of pizza but on the trail its a real nice diversion that is well worth the time and extra miles.

No comments: