Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Day 89

Day: 89 Miles: 19 Trip: 1158.9 Started: Duncannon, PA  Destination: 1158.9

Yesterday we did a short day in the rain to get into the Doyle Hotel.  The Doyle is an AT legend that is over 100 years old.  If you ever hiked the AT you probably stayed at the Doyle.  A bit rundown, is natural charm and history makes up for its aging facade.  The trail goes though backstreets of Duncannon for several miles before crossing the  Susquehanna river and climbing back up the ridge.  Except for the rocky uphill just after the river the trail was generally easy going.  We got to camp at about 7pm and set up for a nights sleep.  I realized here that I have been spending a lot of time in shelters and had not set up my tent in several weeks.  As the weather continues to stay warm and the bugs get worse I think I'll be in my tent more often.  Shelters are nice but do not offer any protection from the bugs.

No comments: