Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 119: Cooling temperatures

Day: 119 Miles: 14.4 Trip: 1622.1 Started: Rt 9, Bennington VT Destination: Kid Gore Shelter

I ended up dong a zero in Bennington.  The managers at the Catamount Motel are very hiker friendly and offered to drive me to wherever I needed to go, its a great place to stay.  I took full advantage of this by staying another day to in part let the trail dry out from the the previous rain and also to make a trip to Walmart and the local Price Chopper.  I got a late start out of Bennington, it was about 4pm when I took a break at Kid Gore Shelter.  Just after my lunch I cam across my first fire tower since NJ.  The view was pretty good despite the overcast conditions.

View from the top of Glastenbury lookout tower

I was planning on going another five miles or so, but I got talking to another north bounder named B-line and decided that I would not push things and called it a day.  I am planning on doing a short day into Manchester Center so tomorrow will just have to be a little longer.   The temperatures have come down markedly and I can push up a mountain without being totally soaked at the top.  The cooler temperatures definitely have me in a better mood. 

 One advantage to ending the day a little early is having the time to do things like start a camp fire.

No comments: