Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 113: More heat

Day: 113  Miles: 11.1  Trip: 1556.3 Started: Upper Goose Pond   Destination: 1556.3

More extreme heat today.  Its is almost 100 today and that is before the heat index.  I am feeling pretty warn down.  I was planning on going all the way into Dalton today, but I could just not get enough motivation together to go all the way.  I got a nice early start but by 10:30 it was already over 90 and by 12 it was over 95.   There was a slight breeze at least today and I took a long break in a nice pine forest and fell asleep for over an hour!  I made it to the Washington Mt. road crossing and headed over to an AT legend, the 'Cookie Lady'. 
The cookie lady was not there, but Mr. Cookie Lady was.  I bought a few sodas and was treated to some free homemade chocolate chip cookies.  I was hoping the break would pick me up, but when I got back to the trail I decided to find a nice camp spot and call it a day.  I will do a short day into Dalton tomorrow and spend another night out of the heat.  The weather is predicted to break this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you get to New Hampshire at Crawfords notch send me a picture of the Appalachian Trail store there I like to see it again was a neat place. I hope it stays cool. Send more pictures. Mom