Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 66: McAfee Knob & Tinker Cliffs

Day: 65 Miles: 16.3 Trip: 714.1 Started: Four Pines Hostel Destination: Lamberts Meadow Sh.

The weather man got it right today and the clouds are gone.  I started a bit late but did not mind as I had a slightly shorter day planned.  I got up to the VA311 crossing at about 11am and started the trail up to McAfee Knob.  It was Sunday and the day hikers were out in droves.  There is a parking lot at 311 and its only about 4 miles up to the top of the ridge.  At the top I met up with Hancock and Gypsy who I have not seen for about a week.  I also caught up with Not Yet and Sunshine who had stayed at the hostel.  We all took turns taking pictures and had a quick lunch hunkered down in the rocks to avoid the wind.  The weather was perfect and I am glad I waited a day.  This is one of the rare places that was exactly as I had imagined it. 


A few miles later I got up to Tinker Cliffs.  I actually think Tinker Cliffs offer a better view than McAfee.  Another nice thing about this area is that is a little farther away from the very touristy McAfee Knob.

Tinker Cliffs.  McAfee Knob in the background to the left




No comments: