Sunday, March 31, 2013

Day 24: Happy Easter!

Day: 24 Miles: 5 Trip: 206.8 Started: Mt. Collins Shelter Destination: Newfound Gap

Had a lot of steady rain last night that helped to knock down the slush a little.  The group I am with is pretty much soaked to the bone and we have decided to go into Gatlingburg to dry off.  I did not want the extra expense of a day in town, but its hard to resist the allure of a place to dry out after the wet conditions we have had for the past few days.  Staying at the Grand Prix Motel, it's such a good deal that we will probably do a zero to give the mountains one more day to drain.  So much for clearing the Smoky Mts. in six days like I had planned!  I would love to come back here in the summer , the trails seam really well maintained and would be a joy to hike under better conditions.  I pushed out a quick five miles in the morning and made it to Newfound Gap in time to make the free 11am shuttle run by the Nantahala Outdoor Center.

No comments: