Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Day 157: Moxie Bald

Day: 157 Miles: 18.5 Trip: 2065.1 Started: Moxie Pond Rd.  Destination: Shirley-Blanchard Rd.

We decided to do a slack pack day from the Sterling Inn. The room was free for the night and Sa, ChinMusic's wife is out with him for the duration and slacking was a natural option with her supporting him.  The day on paper looked absolutely beautiful.  Besides Moxie Mountain the trail looked almost perfectly flat.  While it was not a complete walk in the park, the trail after Moxie follows the stream all the way back down to the Piscataquis River.  So far in Maine this was one of the better days for trail conditions.  For a long stretch the granite seemed to form a sidewalk on the trail. Unfortunately this would not last very long but it was a really pretty stretch.  Some interesting rock formations also made the highlight list for the day.

Manson will be my next and final trail town.  I am having mixed emotions as I get closer and closer to the end.  I am glad to be finishing.  Some days the end can not come fast enough and other days I think that I have not slowed down enough to enjoy where I am.  I don't think I will really be able to reflect on my trip until its over and I can think about it in its entirety.  I am far too consumed with the day to day planning and grind to fully appreciate the trip in its full scale.   Moving north.


No comments: